Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Militainment Inc....?

Well...Watching this video made my head spin. It's not that I was unaware of all the media hype about the war, but I think seeing how much it has escaladed was what hit me. I know that we were only instructed to watch 5 parts of the video, because of how long it was, but i couldn't help but watch the whole thing. The first chapter's title 'War as entertainment' hits the spot dead-on. It's amazing how familiar and disgustingly 'normal' war has become to us. It's on TV, on the Internet, in magazines, newspapers, and billboards...War is everywhere! One part of the video that hit me quite hard was when a TV news clip was shown and the reporter switched from talking about sports to all of a sudden talking about the war so nonchalantly.... It just seemed as though it was a normal everyday thing, and as though it is easily viewed and talked about...This is not right. But like the video said, there's 'clean' war (although no war is clean) and there's personal war. Personal war hits the heart a lot harder than 'clean' war, I mean could you imagine being exposed to things like the photo I've posted below every day?!?! That's not typically the type of thing that the news shows on TV, and this is good, but just because the stuff we see on TV isn't as heart hitting we shouldn't take it so lightly. Even though we're not usually shown the tragic happenings of the war doesn’t mean we should be so blind to what's actually going on. War has even turned into 'fun'! There are war video games, action figures and even board games! Militainment Inc. talked about how video games are now being used to train people for war? I seriously can't believe that.... War is nothing like a video game, in real life there's adrenaline, fear, excitement and all of these other emotions running though your body that are unexplainable and can't be felt through a video game! At the end of the movie there was talk about how peacemakers are seen as enemies... I've learned about many war protests that have turned violent but isn't that what they were supposed to be fighting against? I don't agree with the whole peace makers = enemies side of things but I think there are better ways to approach doing a protest so that it doesn't turn into violent shenanigans! All n all I really enjoyed the video... It showed me how exposed to war we really are and that everyone should be more aware of what actually happens at the war and how much we being exposed to such nonsense.

2 comments: